In June 2020, preventive archaeological researches were carried out at ”Holy Archangels” Church in Ceplenița village, Iași county in order to obtain more data necessary for preparing the restoration project. Following the archaeological and documentary researches, more information were obtained in relation to the historical evolution of the village, the court and the church in this locality.
The village, attested in 1600, was the property of the great vornic Nestor Ureche that was later on inherited by his son, Grigore Ureche who built a noble court in this locality. At the middle of the 18th century, the village of Ceplenița went into the possession of Cantacuzino-Pașcanu family who, at the beginning of the 19th century, rebuilt the court and the church at the same time.
The archaeological researches showed that at the level of the church there were two interventions, which mark the first construction of 1802 and the reconstruction of the church in 1836-1838. It was also inside the church that several tombs were found, dated 18th century, showing that on the site of the actual church there used to be a graveyard. The existence of this graveyard proves that in the vicinity of the actual place of worship there used to be a previous (yet unidentified) church. The bell tower and the enclosure wall were built at the same time, between 1836-1837, when the church was rebuilt for the last time.