The Kogălniceanu House in Iasi, built around 1818, is a neoclassical building with floor, whose specificity is the oval ballroom. The building is included on the List of Historical Monuments. The Main tenant was Mihail Kogălniceanu, important political figure, minister, and diplomat. He was one of the first Romanian historians, professor at the Academy, editor of medieval chronicles and author of important studies. Kogălniceanu owned a valuable art collection, sold in Germany towards the end of his life.
The building was saved and turned into a Museum in 1971 due to the efforts of Professor Gh. Băileanu who had attended History and Museum Studies in Paris. Along the time, museographers Alexandru Radu, Petre Abrudan and Georgeta Crăciun had special merits for choosing the topic and for conceiving the main exhibition of the museum. In 1994, the building entered a process of consolidation-restoration which ended in 1999. The thematic reorganization of the main exhibition was done after a project of the museographer Violeta Onișoru. The actual project for the rearrangement of the exhibition space took place between 2009 and 2012. It was centered on the recreation of the atmosphere of a 19th century aristocratic house by emphasizing a rich patrimony mostly connected to the name and family of Mihail Kogălniceanu.