THE PALACES OF GALATA – IAŞI IN THE 19th CENTURY
About the palaces built on Galata hill in Iaşi, writs mainly refer to the description of the monastery dedicated to “The Ascension”, founded by Petru Şchiopul (Peter the Lame) around 1582. According to historians, between 1582 and 1847, princely residences were built inside the monastery yard by rulers such as Petru Şchiopul, Grigore Ghica, Constantin Ipsilanti and Ruxandra, Mihail Sturdza’s sister.
Nevertheless, as shown on the plans of the city of Iasi dated to the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th, one can notice that the palace built by Constantin Ipsilanti in 1799 is located west of the Galata monastery. According to chronicler Manolache Drăghici, this palace burnt down in 1814 and was rebuilt in 1847 by Princess Ruxandra, Mihail Sturdza’s sister.
Following the princess’ death, the palace was sold by her son, Petrache Mavrogheni, to Prince Grigore Alexandru Ghica. During Grigore Alexandru Ghica’s reign, in 1855, the palace was transformed into a shelter for the poor, the disabled and the old. Nowadays, Princess Ruxandra’s residences, built on the foundations of Constantin Ipsilanti’s palace, house an orphanage for children with special needs.